Most of us think of holidays as one of those few days our employer actually pays us to stay home. We all know the big ones: New Year's, Memorial Day, Labor Day, Thanksgiving, Christmas. And yes, some employers are a little more generous but most likely you'll have no more than 7 days a year that you consider a holiday. Depending on your religious beliefs you may add a few more to that annual list, and find that you're up to a dozen or so.
For a day to be considered a "National Holiday" it needs to be declared so by Congress. And then of course we have the "commercial holidays" that we all love, which in effect are simply days that have become popular over the years. We all love them, but for some of us that just isn't enough. Organizations, corporation, and even loosely connected groups of people can "declare" a day for any reason they choose. Some of these days catch on and become popular with the general population, some remain only recognized by their creator, and some fizzle out and become a mere memory after only a year or two.
The point is - Every day, somewhere someone is celebrating something.

Sunday, August 1, 2010

August 1, 2010 ~ Sister Day

Not to be confused with "Brother and Sister Day" or "Sibling Day", I 'm pretty sure this one was made up by greeting card companies to help boost 3rd quarter numbers.  And, who wouldn't want to let their sister know how much they are loved and appreciated?  I have to admit though being the only girl child in my family I am a sister, but I don't have any sisters.  When I was very young I though I was missing out not having a female sibling.  As I got a little older I was grateful to be the only girl...I had my own room, I didn't have to share, there was no fighting over boyfriends...life was good.  In my motherhood years, having three daughters, my thoughts from my own childhood were reinforced.  Let me give you all some advice...if you're going to have girls, have two, have four, have six, never have three.  Once they were old enough to argue I stopped being a mother and began being a referee.  It was always two against one, but the scorecard was constantly changing.  To this day, and they are all adults now, the only time they truly all get along is when they have a common enemy...which would be me.

Now that I'm "mature" I again think it would be nice to have a sister.  But Sister Day doesn't have to be just for birth sisters...you can send a message to your best girl friend or maybe a childhood friend who was like a sister to you.  Just don't forget, there are more than likely distinct days for those people as well...  To be prepared for next year, Sister Day is always the first Sunday in August, Brother Day is always the first Sunday in May, and National Sibling Day is April 10.

By the way, in case you hadn't noticed... You can pick up great greeting cards for all kinds of unusual holidays at my Card Shop on Greeting Card Universe, and fun gifts at my Zazzle shop, all links to which can be found on this page. 


My plans for today...Since today is also my Sister-in-Law's birthday I'm going to wish her a happy day.  Reminisce about times my daughters displayed their "sisterly" love.  Maybe even call my brothers and find out why I didn't get any cards...  Have a fantastic Sunday and I'll see y'all tomorrow.

No comments:

Post a Comment