Most of us think of holidays as one of those few days our employer actually pays us to stay home. We all know the big ones: New Year's, Memorial Day, Labor Day, Thanksgiving, Christmas. And yes, some employers are a little more generous but most likely you'll have no more than 7 days a year that you consider a holiday. Depending on your religious beliefs you may add a few more to that annual list, and find that you're up to a dozen or so.
For a day to be considered a "National Holiday" it needs to be declared so by Congress. And then of course we have the "commercial holidays" that we all love, which in effect are simply days that have become popular over the years. We all love them, but for some of us that just isn't enough. Organizations, corporation, and even loosely connected groups of people can "declare" a day for any reason they choose. Some of these days catch on and become popular with the general population, some remain only recognized by their creator, and some fizzle out and become a mere memory after only a year or two.
The point is - Every day, somewhere someone is celebrating something.

Sunday, September 26, 2010

September 26 ~ Johnny Appleseed Day

Johnny Appleseed's real name was John Chapman. Although he didn't really wear a pot on his head and ragged trousers, he really was a pioneer nurseryman who introduced apple trees to a large portion of Ohio, Indiana, and Illinois. Johnny Appleseed Day is celebrated on the day of his birth, September 26, 1774. He died in his sleep, March 18, 1845 of pneumonia. Legend has it that as he wandered the frontier planting apple trees he would sing this song:

Oh, the Lord's been good to me.

And so I thank the Lord
For giving me the things I need:
The sun, the rain and the appleseed;
Oh, the Lord's been good to me.

Oh, and every seed I sow

Will grow into a tree.
And someday there'll be apples there
For everyone in the world to share.
Oh, the Lord is good to me.

Oh, here I am 'neath the blue, blue sky

Doing as I please.
Singing with my feathered friends
Humming with the bees.

I wake up every day,

As happy as can be,
Because I know that with His care
My apple trees, they will still be there.
The Lord's been good to me.

I wake up every day

As happy as can be,
Because I know the Lord is there
Watchin' over all my friends and me
The Lord is good to me.



View more personalized gifts from Zazzle.

No comments:

Post a Comment