Most of us think of holidays as one of those few days our employer actually pays us to stay home. We all know the big ones: New Year's, Memorial Day, Labor Day, Thanksgiving, Christmas. And yes, some employers are a little more generous but most likely you'll have no more than 7 days a year that you consider a holiday. Depending on your religious beliefs you may add a few more to that annual list, and find that you're up to a dozen or so.
For a day to be considered a "National Holiday" it needs to be declared so by Congress. And then of course we have the "commercial holidays" that we all love, which in effect are simply days that have become popular over the years. We all love them, but for some of us that just isn't enough. Organizations, corporation, and even loosely connected groups of people can "declare" a day for any reason they choose. Some of these days catch on and become popular with the general population, some remain only recognized by their creator, and some fizzle out and become a mere memory after only a year or two.
The point is - Every day, somewhere someone is celebrating something.

Thursday, July 29, 2010

July 30, 2010 ~ Happy Father-in-Law Day ~

If you haven't done it before this is a good day to let your Father-in-Law just how special he is to you.  It's a bit difficult for me this evening (writing this on Thursday night) to make light-hearted comments about father in laws as I am concerned about my own dad who was in an automobile accident earlier today.  Luckily there were no other people involved, the cars he hit were parked, and he was not traumatically injured.  He's 78 and my concern is more about why it happened.  I know I should accept the fact that he is getting old and I have to prepare for the inevitable, but I just don't want to.  My dad and I have had our ups and downs over the years, but I choose to remember only the great things about him and our relationship.  So, on Father-in-Law day I'm going to make sure to let my dad know I love him.  The ironic thing about this is my dad lives in Florida, I live in South Carolina, and he had the accident while visiting my nursing home bound brother. in New Jersey.  The only person that could get to him quickly was his daughter-in-law, who made sure he was okay, spoke to the doctors and relayed information back to the rest of the family.  Thank goodness for in-laws!

No comments:

Post a Comment